Monday, November 3, 2008

A Love Affair



I would like to thank all who participated in my guessing game. Several of the comments were very imaginative, others on the right track.

Henri de Montaut was a talented illustrator whose works included submissions for novels, a successful magazine cartoonist and several paintings. The lithograph shown was a cartoon from the weekly magazine La Vie Parisienne, sometime after 1863. Perhaps it had something to do with an anniversary or memorial.


If you look at the gentleman on the balcony entranced by the actress upon the stage you will notice below him is the Royal Crest of the French Court (three fleurs-de-lis and crown).

Therefore he could be no other than Louis XV. Besotted by the woman dancing before him, she would be his beloved mistress Madame de Pompadour (1721-1764). She often performed plays and operettas for the King's pleasure. A theatre was built at her residence the Petit Trianon (later given as a gift to Marie Antoinette by her husband Louis XVI).

Until her untimely death at 42 April 15, 1764 Madame was his greatest confident and perhaps his only true love.

I placed the names in a hat and I am happy to announce Kris(Tres Belle) and Doreen(Vermont Harvest) as the winners. A new chapter in the tale of Wealthy's Bonnet will be featured later this week.

*Painting by Henri de Montaut

11 comments:

Doreen Frost said...

Oh...I am so excited and thrilled to have had my name pulled out of the hat. Thank you so much Susan.

Hugs,
Doreen

Christine Crocker said...

dearest susan,

oh, I am too late,
but what fun! it is a wonderful story.
C

Fete et Fleur said...

Congrats to the winners! Have a beautiful day Miss Maddie.

Nancy

Sea Angels said...

Ooooh How fabulous I love it soo much it is even better and even more romantic than I had imagined.
Big congratulations to you Susanne for the knowledge and to your winners for being so clever...it was such fun.
Thankyou for your beautiful heartfelt words, there are times I sooo wish I had a magic wand with unlimited usage, oh I could have sooo much fun making things happen. You are a lovely person and I am so pleased to be able to talk to you on your lovely posts.
Hugs Lynn xx

oldflowers4me said...

im so sorry i missed this as well-next time-

Pinkie Denise said...

Hello Susan,
Love the pretty pictures. How lucky the ladies will be that receive your wonderful gifts Pinkie

Lori said...

congrats to your winners Susan!!!

Heather said...

congrats to the winners! Wow, you are truly a fountain of knowledge!~

Anonymous said...

Congrats- now back to my eating sour grapes!!!
D.

Christine LeFever said...

What a lovely bit of history, Susan. And congratulations to the clever winners!

Christine ~ Zwee!!!!!!

Suzanne said...

How interesting! Thanks for sharing, and congratulations to the winners, albeit, a little late!